Tuesday 4 October, 2011, Melbourne Town Hall, Melbourne.
How the inclusion of culture with social, environmental and economic policies strengthens local governance
This international conference will examine the role of cultural policies and their relationship with economic, social and environmental policies, particularly as they impact on local governance and communities. The conference will include diverse perspectives on cultural policy from across the Asia-Pacific. Issues to be discussed include:
- How do cultural perspectives interact with public policy?
- How do cultural aspirations lead to better outcomes for communities and local government?
- What are the different ways ‘culture’ is interpreted across the Asia Pacific?
- Cr Catherine Cullen, Vice- President, UCLG Committee for Culture, Deputy Mayor in charge of Culture, Lille, France
- Prof Paul James, Director of Global Cities Institute, RMIT University and UN Global Compact, Cities Program
- Jon Hawkes, cultural analyst and author of ‘The Fourth Pillar’
- Mayors and senior local government representatives from the Asia-Pacific region.
This event is being co-ordinated with UCLG ASPAC Council and Executive Bureau Meeting (3 October)