The City of Melbourne is seeking a Venue Manager for its venue The Meat Market.
- Job no: 95852
- Work type: Temporary (Full Time)
- Location: Arts House, 5 Blackwood Street, North Melbourne
- Salary $95,964 + 9.5% Superannuation
- Temporary Full Time to 1 October 2016
- Applications close: 15 Feb 2015 (11:00 PM) Aus. Eastern Standard Time
The Meat Market Arts Centre is situated on Crown Land which occupies a site of 6,231 sqm on the corner of Courtney and Blackwood Streets, North Melbourne.
By agreement with the Victorian Government, the City of Melbourne (Arts and Culture Branch) manages the Centre, and has done so since 2004. This grade one heritage listed building is a facility of enormous character that is extremely flexible, and can accommodate a range of activities that focus on contributing to Melbourne’s diverse and distinct arts and cultural ecology.
In 2015 our Arts and Culture Branch will refocus and reinvigorate the Meat Market by creating a new dedicated specialist arts facility management team. Currently City Of Melbourne has a unique opportunity for an experienced and driven Venue Manager to commence and lead this process.
The Venue Manager is responsible for leading the strategic direction of the Meat Market team. You will ensure the building’s optimal and safe use as a cultural venue for performance and exhibitions, creative development, housing of the arts in the municipality, and hiring in alignment with the terms of the lease agreement. You will be required to boost the venue’s profile and revenue and strategically plan for sustainable growth. This position will manage the Operations Manager and the Presenter Services Co-ordinator, and will work collaboratively towards building and fostering a positive and proactive culture amongst your team. We are looking for a strong leader who can build a solid commercial and cultural foundation for the ongoing development of the Meat Market.
Your role as Venue Manager will be to ensure a viable and vibrant cultural centre and develop and implement marketing, communications and promotional strategies and activities to attract a diverse mix of presenters and hirers for predominantly arts related activities. You will work with our Creative Spaces team to ensure quality services to current and new lessees/tenants. You will ensure an exceptional experience for Meat Market clients and artists alike and oversee the building’s operations and systems to ensure compliancy in all contractual, financial, reporting and front of house systems in line with City of Melbourne policies and the Meat Market’s lease agreement.
This is a rare opportunity to take an iconic Arts venue to the next level! If this sounds like your next career move please see below on how to apply:
You will have:
- Previous experience in cultural venue management with knowledge, networks and contacts across the arts sector.
- Demonstrated capacity to develop and manage an arts based venue within tight budget constraints.Proven high level interpersonal skills, including the capacity to communicate a brand and identity for the Meat Market to engage a diverse range of presenters, hirers, communities and tenant/lessees.
- Experience delivering successful marketing and communications outcomes in an arts industry setting.
- Previous experience in managing risk, event plans, OHS and compliance in a venue management context.
- Solid understanding of and experience working with diverse stakeholders such as creative teams, artists, external contractors, government agencies and technical support service providers.
- Proven ability to build and maintain a culture of continuous review, evaluation and improvement.
- Clear track record in successfully developing and managing routine maintenance plans and long range capital works submissions and projects.
- Strong people leadership skills developed through a demonstrated background in leading, developing and motivating staff in a collaborative manner.
How to apply…
As part of the online application form you are required to:
- attach your resume and cover letter
- attach your response to the following questions in a separate document in no more than 500 words per question
- Describe a time when you made decisions in order to enhance your brand awareness, tell us what you did and what the results were?
- This industry can be small and yet highly competitive how do you ensure you your team and venue stand out?
Please attention your covering letter to Jane Crawley, Manager Arts and Culture
To view the physical requirements of this position click on the following link: Download File.
For further information about the position, please contact the Recruitment Team on 03 9658 9140.
Interviewed applicants who proceed to the next stage of the recruitment process will be required to complete a ‘Disclosure of existing condition and health declaration’ form and a police check.
Applicants must have the legal right to work in Australia and agree to undertake necessary pre-employment checks.
What we have to offer…
Here are just some of the great benefits of working with us: Working for the City of Melbourne
The Advertised Close Date may be subject to change.