Darebin Arts Centre is seeking a dynamic, friendly and focused individual to be part of the centre’s technical team. This person will support and assist with the centre’s diverse arts program by delivering technical support to our valued Presenters, artists and patrons; e.g. assisting with bump-ins and bump-outs, assisting with maintenance of equipment, and carrying out duties in the areas of lighting, audio, staging and audio-visual disciplines. Candidates will be required to work evening and weekends where required. Hours: 76 hours over a four-week period (equivalent to 19hrs per week).
About City of Darebin
Darebin is situated on the Traditional Owner lands of the Wurundjeri Woi Wurrung people. It is home to many Aboriginal community-controlled organisations, and a large number of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people work, live and play within the municipality. Our Vision is for a community that works together to advance community life. Council responds to the many needs of the Darebin community, notably First Nations residents and organisations. The city has one of the largest populations of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander residents in metropolitan Melbourne and is home to one of the largest, most diverse communities anywhere in the State.
The City of Darebin makes a significant investment in the arts and creative sector operating two iconic performing arts and cultural facilities – Darebin Arts Centre and Northcote Town Hall Arts Centre and. Both venues are known for delivering strong and high-profile arts programs.
About the Role
This Venue Services Officer Technician role forms part of the Operations and Technical Team that is responsible for all operational, technical and front of house support for the Arts Precincts activities, including performances and events.
- Provide excellent customer service to all internal and external clients
- Ensure effective communication with clients to determine and deliver technical requirements
- Assist clients achieve success of their event
- Contribute to the smooth-running of events at DAC
- Gather Technical requirements for clients and productions for events as required or directed
- Carry out duties in the areas lighting, staging, audio, and audio visual as required
- Assist with bump-ins and bump-outs so tasks are completed quickly, efficiently and with due care
- Actively promote best practice in the area of OHS responsibilities
- Maintain the safety, cleanliness and security of the building during productions
- Maintain clear accurate and detailed records of venue or equipment usage and any other related resources used for all productions and events
Skills & Experience
- Understanding of the technical operations of an arts centre and or cultural facility and the technical delivery of performance and events
- Working knowledge of rigging, operation and maintenance of stage lighting
- Working knowledge of setup, operation and maintenance of audio equipment
- Working knowledge or understanding of rigging and setup of stage scenery
- Working knowledge of understanding of audio-visual equipment for theatrical purposes, conferences and seminars
- Sound communication, problem solving and resolution skills
Qualifications, Certificates, Licences, and/or Experience
- At least one year’s experience in technical service delivery in an arts or cultural centre
- Experience in face-to-face customer service delivery
- Current Level 2 Workplace First Aid
- A current Working with Children Card
Council recognises, pays respect to and celebrates the long-standing Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture and heritage within the Darebin community. Through its 2019 Statement of commitment to Traditional Owners and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, Council has re-committed to building strong partnerships with the local Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community, recognising their values, living culture and practices, continuing spiritual connection to the land and waters and their right to self-determination.
Darebin Arts Centre hosts the annual Ganbu Gulin celebration each September, and has also hosted the inaugural Australian IndigiCon Convention in 2018 and the inaugural First Nations Jobs Forum in 2022. As a progressive leader in Local Government, Darebin City Council is passionate about social inclusion, sustainability, engagement and service excellence.
We are proud of the diversity of our workforce and recognise the strength this provides in meeting the needs of the community we serve. We are committed to upholding a positive and supportive work environment that values the contribution of all employees and treats all employees with dignity and respect.
We offer a range of benefits to our employees including opportunities for personal and professional development, flexible working arrangements, Employee Assistance Program, recognition and reward program – Appreciate Great and a variety of generous paid and unpaid leave options.
- Connect with a strong Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community and organisations
- Practise, participate in and celebrate culture, knowing Council respects Aboriginal cultural rights
- Learn and gain knowledge on the job, as part of endorsed work practices for First Nations staff
- Be part of the performing arts industry working with artists in the delivery of their artistic vision.
- Work for a local authority that values and invests in the arts and the local artistic and creative community
How to Apply
Please prepare your resumé and ensure it shows how you would be a great fit for the role. You can also do this by addressing the key selection criteria.
Contact Chloe Gestier, Head of Operations on (03) 8470 8277 or 0448 125 039 for a confidential discussion. firstname.lastname@example.org