Position: Venue Technician
Work Type: Full Time
Darebin Arts Centre is seeking an experienced, motivated and solutions-focused Venue Technician who will be responsible for assisting the Production Supervisor to coordinate and facilitate technical requirements of event presentations, as well as maintain and update venue technical equipment, software and associated paperwork.
About City of Darebin
Located in the northern suburbs of Melbourne the City of Darebin has a population of 161,609. The city has one of the largest populations of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander residents in metropolitan Melbourne and is home to one of the largest, most diverse communities anywhere in the State.
The City of Darebin makes a significant investment in the arts and creative sector operating two iconic arts and cultural facilities, Darebin Arts Centre and Northcote Town Hall Arts Centre, as its Arts Precincts Unit. Both venues are known for delivering strong and high-profile arts programs.
About the Role
The Venue Technician position is a core role of the Operations and Technical Team that is responsible for all operational, technical and front of house support for the Arts Precincts activities, including performances and events. The Technical team is responsible for ensuring all technical aspects of the venue and equipment are maintained and improved in line with procurement policies and industry standards, and to facilitate all technical and production-related operational duties for events at the highest professional standards.
- Undertake the coordination and delivery of all technical services at a high-volume event-days performing arts venue
- Assist Production Supervisor with continuous improvement documentation of technical and OHS processes
- Assist Production Supervisor with coordinating scheduled periodic and ad-hoc equipment maintenance and upgrades, and associated rostering
- Develop proficiency in venue management system as key source for recording all production-related technical information (for which training will be provided)
Skills & Experience
- Technical competence in all technical discipline areas of live performance industry
- Excellent time-management skills and ability to multitask
- Excellent client and artist liaison communication skills, with a broader understanding of the industry sector
- Excellent innovative and creative problem-solving skills
- Be a flexible, enthusiastic and motivated team member
Darebin is home to one of the largest, most diverse communities in Victoria in terms of cultures, language (more than 118 languages are spoken), religions, socio-economic background, employment status, occupation and housing needs. You will work for an organisation that proudly values social inclusion, sustainability, engagement and service excellence.
The Creative Culture and Events Department plays a vital role in the local arts arena to offer platforms and support for a wide range of local artists to make and present work. Its continuous-improvement strategies are some of the most innovative in Australia responding to the critical needs of the community as they grow and change. In a post Covid-19 environment the department’s work is essential in the rebuilding of the sector, offering financial and operational support as well as galvanising audiences for the various creative outputs presented.
- Opportunity to play a key role in shaping the day-to-day operations in a new era of transformation of Darebin Arts Centre
- Work for a local government that is committed to its creative community to ensure that its creative community organisations and artists survive and thrive post- COVID-19
- Contribute to shaping the vision of technical procurement improvements at DAC to maintain its competitiveness as a leading metropolitan venue
- Be part of a progressive and dynamic local government authority which is internationally recognised for its forward thinking in sustainability, asylum seekers, indigenous rights and equity for all regardless of physical special needs, sexuality, gender, race or religion
- Accessibly positioned venue, 100m from Bell Street Station, St Georges Rd arterial cycle path, ample car parks available, and positioned alongside several bus routes
- Venue is adjacent to leafy and spacious Ray Bramham Gardens